Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh (B)
Class and Classroom Allocation Policy
- The allocation of teaching duties is, in the first instance, the responsibility of the Principal
- In consultation with the teaching staff, the principal will organise a fair distribution of teaching duties among the staff, taking into account the needs of the pupils, and the experience, personality and preferences of the teaching staff.
- The principal will take into account the need for opportunities for teachers to teach at different levels and in different situations (classroom teacher, learning support teacher, teacher of children with special needs, language support teacher, resource teacher for travellers)
- The Principal will take into account the needs of the pupils and the desirability of children interacting with different members of staff, and the benefits to the children of experiencing the particular talents of different staff members.
- The Principal will group the children in their best interests, taking into account the overall number of children and the total number of classroom teachers available.
- The number of children in each class will be decided by the Principal in consultation with the teaching staff, taking into account the overall numbers at each level, the size of the rooms available and the number of teachers allocated to each level.
- Teachers will be consulted on an annual basis as to their preference for the following year.
- All efforts will be made to allocate teaching duties according to the preferences expressed, taking into account the needs of the pupils, and the necessity for a fair and equitable distribution of teaching duties among the staff.
- Rooms are allocated taking into account the general needs of the class group and the specific needs of any individual in the class.
- Rooms allocated to the infant classes will, as far as is practicable, be easily accessible by the parents of the children.
- Larger classrooms will be allocated to the class groups with the largest numbers.
- Furniture suitable to the age and size of the pupils will be provided in each room.